Saturday, July 18, 2009

Where are the Woods?

It's Wifey. I've hijacked the blog. I know we've been missing for quite while, but we're doing fine. As it always seems to happen as the weather warms we are finding our lives in fast forward.




The month of May passed quickly with lots of yard work to bring it up to the standards of a picky, control-freak and a detail-oriented, designer of fine landscape architecture. We're not there yet.... but we're working on it. We had our first house party on May 16th and it was a huge success. We never actually counted the number of guests but various parts of lives were well represented in the attendants. As we had suspected the house and it's layout are great for entertaining.



We also attending a wedding of our good friend "Pemberton" in Newport on Memorial Day weekend. It was a beautiful day in a lovely setting with an absolutely stunning bride and her groom.

We're famous ......

Had we have known what the weather in June would bring, we probably would'nt have tried so hard to keep up with the lawn. The greater Boston area (the Northeast in general) had 22 days of rain in June. It was enough rain that the dog smelled moldy, plants were drowning, the grass was mown wet and we finally gave in and just started doing things in the rain for fear one more day inside would cause cabin fever (red rum, red rum, Tobey red rum).

The highlight of June was dog training. In addition to the Woods missing from the blogging world you might have also noticed that the "Mockador" has also disappeared. Our little rescue dog turned out to be a wild monster without any manners. She's incredibly fortunate that she was adopted by a man with the patience of Job and a woman who loves dogs. There were definitely days that I threatened to drive her back to Indiana where she came from. As frustration mounted we enlisted the help of Laurie of Professional Pet Services in Pembroke, MA.

She and her sister Michelle were not our last resort for the Mockador but they were very close to it. They have a "Dog whisperer" mentality to dog training that allows one on one sessions broken into 4 classes to raise a calm, submissive dog. Today I'm happy to say that while Bella is not yet perfect, I'm no longer thinking of a road trip to the Hoosier state.







"I love my gate!" (thanks Auntie)











"Is there a treat in this for me?"

Father's Day weekend found the sisters taking our Dad the Bear for a "Christmas" fishing trip on the Sandy B of Gloucester MA. It was one of the rare days in June that the sun shone and we were actually able to head out into the ocean. Although we didn't catch any fish we made memories to enjoy for years to come.

The fog's just lifting. Throw off your bow line, throw off your stern.
You head out to South channel, past Rocky Neck, Ten pound island.
Past Niles Pond where I skated as a kid.
Blow your airhorn and throw a wave to the lighthouse keeper's kid on Thatcher Island.
Then the birds show up, black backs, herring gulls, big dump ducks and green legged coots. The sun hit ya , head North, open up to 12, steamin' now. The guys are busy, you're in charge. Ya know what? You're a goddam swordboat captain!Is there any thing better in the world?
Sebastian Junger, A Perfect Storm

We took our traditional trip to the lake for July 4th weekend. Bella went on her first road trip to meet Sister, TC, EE, TE and the King at my parents cottage. It was a busy weekend filled with a "Flamingo" sighting, a Clarkson reunion, blanket sunbathing, a Mama Ruthie feast to feed the masses and the 4th of July Schamel party. Although the weather was not ideal, "the friendliest boat on the lake" did it's part to make the most of it.



I can't seem to find any other pictures from the weekend- I know it happened, maybe EE can help me out with a link to her photos here.


One of the highlights of the party was when my sister decided to break dance. Yep- that's right she was Jenny B from the block.






Do we know how to have fun or what?















That brings us up to now... the entire reason I've hijacked husbands blog- MY TOMATOES!!! Thanks to my Mom's monster garden growing up I've always enjoyed having my own plants in the summer. With the addition of the house I've stepped up my usual plantings with Earthbox planters. We'd like to thank "Fred and Wilma" for the very kind gift of 2 EB planters. We have a total of 2 tomato plants, a zucchini and a cucumber set up on the sunny, South side of the house. The staking of the gigantic tomatoes has been an ongoing task as they continue to grow. They're currently taller than my shoulder and covered with tons of flowers and lil' green 'maters. I'm so excited I could burst! I am trying not to love them to death as I wait for them to rippen. At this point it looks like our crop will be big enough to supply the neighborhood and possibly a farmer's market! The zucchini so far is a disappointment- the plant is gorgeous but the zukes seem to be ornamental in size. I've just read up on growing them so I'm going to attempt to employ some patience and wait. Right. The cukes look like they'll be ready in 2-3 weeks with healthy vines.

In addition to the veggies I have the usual flower boxes freshly updated with a nice mid-summer selection. I had great pansies (that came from the supermarket-gasp!) that got too leggy in the rain.



I was inspired by the inherited pot of chives from the previous owners and have a little perennial herb garden that hopefully will be in the ground next Spring. That's a list for another day :)



That's all for now. I hope this finds all of our friends and followers enjoying their summer. Husband is in Cairo for work this week. I'm hoping that he'll take some pics and update you when he returns. As for me, I might take a swipe at the "Laura Ashley violets" wallpaper in the downstairs bath. Or.... I might just relax. - Wifey






Our 90 year old neighbor sun worshipping (I've seen her in a bikini- no joke)




green goblin

6 comments:

  1. Can you please post the bikini pictures? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wifey:
    I love this! Keep it up - it inspires me to do the same especially now that I have a pup of my own and some dying plants in my back yard. :) I love the mockador!

    xo
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think i'll come over for some fresh veggies! you guys looked beautiful at that wedding...bella's looking good too ;) your party was great, still have to get the recipe for your beans. thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay! glad you guys are back on the blog! looks like you've been keeping quite busy this summer! bella's so cute & your tomatoes look great! hope to cya soon....megs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the post!!! I will try to figure out how to link my picassa album here - maybe I have to make it public?? Will get there :)

    Love your green thumb- and good luck with your projects/relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your herb garden--and that dress? To die for! You guys are smokin'! Looks like you're having a great summer. :-)

    ReplyDelete